
For those of you who don't know I have a soft spot in my heart for animals. I've been drawn to them for as far back as I can remember. In 2002, before starting my second year of teaching 2nd grade, I decided to create a class hopping theme for my students. I set up table groups according to animals that hop and thought it would be fun to have a class pet. So, I went to Pet Supplies Plus in Holland and bought a fire belly toad. During my visit the owner of the store informed me that this particular type of toad usually lives 2-5 years. I bought the toad not knowing when it was actually born and planned on owning it for a few years at the most. At school my students named the toad Spotty and had a great time helping clean the terrarium. The following school year Spotty remained our class pet. Each week the students helped clean the terrarium and I made the weekly stop at the pet store to buy a dozen crickets for a $1. As the start of the third school year approached I chose to keep Spotty at home in order to avoid his possible death during the school year. Well, it's been almost 6 1/2 years and I've spent over $350 to keep this animal alive. I am amazed at what a tiny bit of love and care can do for even the smallest of God's creatures!



2 comments:
Hokey Fright! Spotty is still kickin'?
I knew you'd be amazed Katie!
Post a Comment