Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Are you ready for a lifestyle change?

Both girls had their 6 month check up with the dentist today.  Upon hearing the news about their appointment their individual reactions couldn't have been more opposite. Elizabeth jumped up and shouted "Wahoo!" while Leah just moaned.  I wasn't surprised.  Elizabeth tends to be very concerned about her oral hygiene whereas Leah could care less.  It has been difficult getting Leah to just brush her teeth every day and then when she does the job isn't done very well.  So, I wasn't too surprised when the dentist informed me that she needed two silver caps to be put on her teeth with another possibly in the next 6 months.  Caps, not just fillings, on each tooth. Although it would be easy to blame Leah's behavior as the reason for the decay of her teeth, the main reason is due to GERD.  Leah was diagnosed back in June of 2009.  At that time we got her a prescription for Prevacid and thought that was enough.  After having her tonsils and adenoids out last summer she didn't complain about a bad taste of vomit in her mouth and we figured her condition had improved.  Unfortunately, we were wrong and the erosion had worsened.

Elizabeth's report was a bit more promising.  As the first patient of the day she was cavity free, but she too was starting to show signs of reflux.  This was noted by the erosion of the enamel on her baby molars.  I was shocked.  Elizabeth is about the same age that Leah was when we first found out about GERD.  Apparently it can be hereditary, but neither Tim nor I experience any symptoms. 

Needless to say I have spent many hours today searching the Internet for information on how to help my children.  The biggest change we are going to make is with our diet.  I was amazed to find out that many of the foods the girls love (like chocolate) are on the list of foods to avoid.  We also need to move our dinner time up about an hour so that their food can be digested completely.  Their snack just before bed (a huge contributor to the reflux) is being eliminated as well. A few other things like drinking lots of water and chewing gum are suppose to help with the acid buildup.  It will be a change, but one that I hope makes a difference!

No comments: