Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Should we take the bumpy road home today?


On our way home from school Leah and Elizabeth will occasionally ask me to take a different route to our house. One of the choices is to go the "short cut" which actually takes longer, but their favorite route is a gravel road with a little hill. They like to put their hands up on the way down and laugh as the tires go over the loose stones. Today Leah and I went down that bumpy hill in the car and then again on foot. Near the end of the walk we made our way to the wooded path and approached the hill. I proceeded up holding onto Jazmin's leash while Leah rode her bike to the top. She paused briefly before heading down, breaking to slow her momentum ever so slightly. Toward the bottom of the hill I could hear her voice imitating the sound of the tires going over the little bumps. As she neared the bottom I heard her laughingly shout, "That was awesome!" A few moments later we both watched as a doe and her two fawns crossed the path ahead of us. That bumpy road is definitely worth traveling!

No comments: