Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Should we cut down a Christmas tree this year?


At the beginning of the month Tim and I had an ongoing conversation about whether or not to go to a tree farm and cut down a Christmas tree this year.  Having grown up with a fake tree I had never cut my own tree so I was definitely interested.  However, instead of taking the adventure we chose our yearly tradition of going to Ruch's tree farm and choosing from their pre-cut trees.  Since finishing our lower level about 5 years ago we've actually purchased 2 trees.  A larger one stands on the upper level in our living room and a much smaller one stands in our family room in the lower level.  We've joked about the smaller trees that we've bought the last couple of years.  They have been either very short and chubby or slightly resemble Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.  This year our tree choosing was the extreme opposite.  We literally held up 2 trees and within 5 minutes of arrival we had both trees wrapped up and ready to take home in the back of Tim's pick-up.  While I was secretly sad we didn't get the experience of cutting down our own trees, I was pleased that our family tradition was such a success.  Leah and Elizabeth especially enjoyed the trip because the owner of the farm gave them their first candy canes of the season which they ate on the short car ride back to our house.   

No comments: